Bali Visa for Hong Kongese

Do Hong Kongese need a visa for Bali Indonesia?

The visa regulations for Indonesia have been simplified greatly over the last few years. Still, if you are a Hong Kong citizen and you want to visit Bali or other places in Indonesia, you need to be aware of a few rules and regulations.

Visa Regulations and Immigration rules for Hong Kong passport holders

In this article, we will focus on Hong Kongese coming to Bali and Indonesia as tourists. It is generally important:


1.) Your passport must be AT LEAST 6 months valid, the day of your arrival in Bali! It is not negotiable. The airline already at your departure airport would have to deny your ticket. Make sure your passport is valid.

2.) Also, your passport pages must have space for the visa stamp! Best you have one page still empty

3.) Don't bring more than IDR 100,000,000 cash into the country (ca. AUD 10,000)

4.) Travel Purpose: Tourist Visit visit means, you are not engaging in any form of business activity and employment that results in any form of payment, compensation or salary. You can't be employed in any way.

Note: the rules and regulations apply for all of Indonesia. It does not matter whether you visit Jakarta, Lombok, Batam or any other place in Indonesia.

 We do our utmost best to keep on top of the immigration rules. Unfortunately, some things changed rather quickly and validated updates are sometimes hard to get. We cannot be held responsible for this information or any service provided by an agent. 

The official immigration website of Indonesia is

Short Stay - Less Than 30 days

Visa Exemption Stamp Passport

If you stay less than 30 days as a tourist, you DO NOT NEED A VISA (Visa Exemption for more than 160 countries).

At the immigration counter, you will get what we call a "Free Entry Stamp." There are no costs involved; it's not a visa in a classical sense. Yet, the stamp allows the officials to track your length of stay.

This Visa Exemption CANNOT BE EXTENDED. You will have to leave Indonesia within 30 days!

Staying between 30-60 days

There are these two main options and want or need to stay between 30 and 60 days in Bali (or Indonesia). Remember, the purpose of travel needs to be a tourist visit or a social visit (Sosial Budaya) - no business activities that will make you receive money or get a salary are allowed.

  1. Visa on Arrival (VoA)

A Visa on Arrival is something you do not apply for while abroad but purchase in the arrival and immigration hall after you landed in Bali or any other airport or port in Indonesia.

This Visa is VOLUNTARY and also initially only valid for 30 days. BUT, it can be extended once for 30 days at the immigration office (Kantor Immigrasi) between the airport and Nusa Dua (we suggest to use the help of a Visa Agent to get this done).

So when you arrive at the airport in the arrival hall, go to the counter "Visa on Arrival" before queuing at the immigration counter and purchase your visa sticker! The immigration officer will then process and stick it into your passport. A great benefit, with a visa on arrival you can queue at a special line that is much faster usually, than having to queue where all the other tourist get their passport checked.

Visa on Arrival Facts:

  • Valid for 30 days Can be extended in Indonesia once for another 30 days (More on Visa on Arrival Extension and link to reputable Visa Agent)
  • Cost for the Visa on arrival: IDR 500,000 (ca. AUD 50 USD 35)
  • Cost for an extension in the Immigration office IDR 800,000 (ca. AUD 80)
  • If you make use of an agent: Visa Agent Fee between IDR 350,000 and 500,000 (ca.AUD 35-50)

More on Visa on Arrival and the process of applying for it can be found HERE.

b.) Social Visa (Visa Budaya B-211)

To get a Social & Cultural Visit, you must apply in an Indonesian embassy abroad. This Visa is straight away valid for 60 days. It could be extended (also here in Bali up to 4 times or 30 days each. We suggest to use the help of a Visa Agent to organise an extension).

Social Visa Facts: 

  • Valid for 60 days To apply you usually need a sponsor letter issued by an Indonesian. If you do not have personal contacts, you can get a sponsor letter through visa agencies
  • Cost for processing the Social Visa: please check with your embassy abroad
  • Extension: B-211 Can be extended in Bali for up to 4 times for a stay of 30 days each (More on Social Visa Extension)
  • Cost for an extension in the Immigration office (IDR 800,000) ca. 80 USD Visa Agent Fee, if you use this service (depends on the agent, should be around IDR 350,000) ca. AUD 35

More on Social Visa and the process of applying for it can be found HERE.

Staying longer than 60 days

If you wish to stay longer than 60 days, as mentioned above, you can use the social visa and extend it up to four times (30 days each) - you need to apply abroad and have a sponsor letter 

Technically you can also leave Indonesia for Singapore or Kuala Lumpur for example, stay one night and then come back to Indonesia and get another free entry stamp, or apply for another Visa on Arrival. If you do this too often, the Indonesia Immigration will ask what you are doing in Bali and suspect you are working here.


Coming Back Soon

Due to the Covid Situation unfortunately we cannot offer you at the moment tour and transportation services.

Bali Essentials

Bali Top Highlights

Top 10 resortsShow me

Top 5 areas to visitShow me

Top 10 templesShow me

Top 5 ActivitiesShow me

Top 10 ClubsShow me

Top 5 Beach ClubsShow me

Top 10 RestaurantsShow me