- Founding year : 1998
- Name of Founder : David J Booth MBE
- We accept Donations (Money)
- We accept Donations (Goods)
- Information on how to donate : https://www.eastbalipovertyproject.org/how-to-donate/
- Emergency Number : +62 – 361- 410071
- Volenteers welcome
- Type of Yayasan Work : Balinese People, Children, Environment & Nature Conservation, Health, Education & Schools
- Donation Link : https://www.eastbalipovertyproject.org/how-to-donate/
The East Bali Poverty Project (EBPP) is a non-profit organisation established in 1998 by a British resident of Bali after an appeal for help by an isolated 7,200Ha mountain village, forgotten by time and progress. Participatory community surveys in 1998 with 1,056 of the 3,000 families in the 19 sub-villages revealed thousands of people living in abject poverty without water, sanitation, roads, schools, health facilities and electricity. Illiteracy was approaching 100%. Malnutrition and iodine deficiency disorders (IDD) were endemic – iodine being the essential nutrient for healthy child births, brain and body development.
When interviewed in November 1998 to determine their priorities and whether EBPP could help, over 1,000 families requested children’s education as a foundation for a better future. An inspiring and productive collaboration thus began with the most disadvantaged communities. From education as a starting base, we have grown and are running various environmental initiatives that harness human and natural resources for mutual benefit to improve living ecosystems, provide sustainable food sources for thousands of people, provide sustainable livelihoods for the present and future, and ensure the preservation of the local environment and ecosystems.
With the philosophy of “helping people to help themselves”, all programmes are designed as models that can be replicated, and executed by local people who transfer knowledge directly, and appropriate technology within their communities.