Gedong Arca Museum is an archaeological museum located in Tampak Siring Village Gianyar, functioned to store various objects of ancient relics. Collection Museum Archeology Gedong Arca is a cultural heritage objects collected from prehistoric or stone age to bronze and the period of history from the 8th century until the 15th-century estimated there are 3000 collections here.
The early history of this museum establishment was started from 1958-1959 by Dr R.P. Soejono as Head of the Office of Archeological Institute and National Heritage II Gianyar. Then officially opened for public on September 14, 1974, by the Governor of Bali, Mr Sukarman. The museum is built on 2,564 m2 of land and became one of the most important milestones in the history of the preservation of ancient relics of Bali, East Nusa Tenggara and West Nusa Tenggara.
In general, the area of the Museum Gedong Arca is divided into three regions, Office/ Administration Building area, Arca Building area and Archeological Rescue Hall. The management office is located in the south area of the museum building. The central part is the complex of the Arca House which is divided into three courtyards and the northernmost is the Archaeological Rescue Hall.
Three areas of Gedong Arca are the outer courtyard, the central courtyard and the inside courtyard. Outer courtyard includes three chambers which includes wantilan (pavilion), place of ticket sales and bale kulkul. In the central courtyard, there are five chambers, as the main area for exhibition. You can also find a beautiful pond in the middle and surrounded by a green garden. Further, in the pavilion, there are seven chambers used for special events and storing sacred relics.
Mostly the collections in this museum are objects from prehistoric times, which include ancient household tools, hunting tools, fishing tools, cultivation tools, and other items related to religious/ ritual purposes.