Updated Travel Regulations and Requirements for Bali
Planning your trip to Bali. On this page you will find all you need to know about General Travel Requirements in relation to Customs, Passport, and some essential tips.
The following FAQ below will guide you through the regulations so you can plan your trip effectively (there are no more mandatory Covid Requirements anymore).
Equally important: Don’t miss to look at the Visa Regulations for Bali / Indonesia which depend on your passport / citizenship, your length of stay, and your travel purpose.Visa Requirements
Essentials for your Bali Vacation
- Digital Discount Card - The BaliCard
- SIMcards & e-Sims online (NEW)
- International Driving License (mandatory)
- Hotels, Resorts and Villas in Bali
- Trekking Tours & Sightseeing
- Car Rental with Driver (half- & full day)
- Airport Transfer DPS
- Bali Scooter & Motor Bike Rental
- Medical Travel Insurance (incl. Covid coverage)
- Golf Tee Time
Updated travel regulations and requirements for Bali / Indonesia & tips before you arrive
FAQ - Must Know Before Arriving in Bali
Id you are not a national of the 9 ASEAN countries or Timor Leste, you NEED a Visa to enter Indonesia and Bali. Which Visa depends on your nationality, travel purpose and length of stay. Please click on the button below to check what applies to you.Bali Visa Requirements
- Passport, needs to be valid at least 6 months from day of arrival. No exceptions, they will send you back otherwise! Make sure your passport is valid.
- The passport needs to have at least one empty page.
- The passport must be in good condition. Ripped or very run down passports might get refused. There are travelers who were denied entry into Indonesia and were sent back, because the passport was in bad condition
Yes. Even if you might not have to show it at the immigration counter.
- Return ticket - airlines and also the immigration authorities can insist that you have a return ticket that is within the time-frame of your visa validity,
- Fill in the ONLINE Customs declaration Form arriving in Bali: if you are arriving in Bali you can do it online and SAVE TIME AT THE AIRPORT, fill in the form BEFORE you arrive. This is the link to the online form: E-CD (Electronic Custom Declaration)
- The form can be filled in 72h before your arrival. Not earlier.
- After filling in the online form, you will receive a QR code which will be scanned by officers after you have collected your luggage, just before you exit the airport building
The tourist tax is planned to be implemented effective 14th February 2024
- The Fee will be IDR 150,000 per person (ca. USD 10 and AUD 15)
- The tourist tax is a local tax that the Bali administration is going to implement, it is only related to Bali and not to Indonesia
- It will not start before 14th of February
- If you arrive in Bali and paid the tax, then go to another province (another island such as Lombok) and return back to Bali, you would have to pay the tax again unfortunately
- It is unclear how they will handle transiting visitors, who use the domestic airport to transit to an international flight without actually "visiting" Bali
- How these funds will be used and for what is not yet clarified 100%. The local government stated it wants to use the money for trash management and improving infrastructure
- The officials are woking on a system, where the tax can be paid online, which would make things much easier for everyone
- Related Article on this issue from Oct 2023
Yes. This is now a MANDATORY Requirement
- Bring your international drivers license (f you wish to rent a scooter). If you don't have one and can't get it in your home country you can get a digital or printed version (delivered in Bali) here from our accredited partner in Singapore:
Yes you can order a SIMCard for Bali online.
Our partner provides eSIM and Physical SIMcards (can be collected at the airport), which you can order online. Like this you will be able to connect to the internet quickly.
Get a SIMcard with Internet connection (physical or eSIM). Order Online
If you purchase out Digital Discount Card for Bali, our BaliCard, you will get a FREE 1GB SIMcard for free to test, which you can then top-up as you go.
A medical travel insurance is NOT mandatory anymore.
But it's advisable to have one. Accidents do happen in Bali and if you are not properly insured, hospitals and doctors will ask for cash payment and can deny treatment.
Don't have a medical travel insurance?
International Travel Insurance / Nomad Insurance / Medical Travel Insurance for 4 weeks or longer.
YES. Bali (Airport Denpasar DPS) is very well connected internationally.
Plenty of budget and international carriers are operating flights to Bali but not all airlines are back to the full schedule compared to pre-covid.
It can be significantly cheaper, depending on the season you intend to travel.
If you can't get a flight to Bali, or if it is too expensive for you, you can look into the option to book a flight to Jakarta and then take a domestic flight on the same day to Bali.
Airlines such as Citilink, Batik Air, Air Asia, Lion Air, and Garuda are flying to Bali several times a day. Ticket price one way: 50-150USD.
If you choose to travel to Jakarta first, tt's good to at least have 3 or 4h difference between your arrival in Jakarta and the next flight to Bali. Because you would have to go through immigration, pick up your luggage and then go to the terminal for to catch your domestic flight.
Don't bring more than the equivalent value of IDR 100,000,000 cash into the country (ca. AUD 10,000). Otherwise you have to declare and pay taxes.
NO. All requirements have been lifted.
As of 9th of June, travelers do NOT need to show proof of vaccination anymore. However the Indonesian government "suggests" to be fully vaccinated.
Translated main points of the new regulation:
Disclaimer: Bali.com is not representing the government or any official authority in regards to covid-related travel regulations. We are doing our best to keep our visitors up-to-date and provide clear information and only share regulations that have been officially confirmed by the government. However we cannot be held responsible for any inaccurate information and changes in regulations that might occur.
IMPORTANT: You only need a B211A Visa if...
- your country is NOT listed for Visit Visa (Visa on Arrival)
- you want to stay LONGER than 60 days
- you don't have a passport but a Titre de Voyage (TDV), Refugee Travel Document, Laissez-passer. More Info
Most suitable Visa for Digital Nomads - for now (FAQ)
If you are uncertain if this Visa is the right one for you, check your nationality here, to make sure. List of Nationalities